The Prow: Ngā Kōrero o Te Tau Ihu
Discover historical and cultural stories from the top of the South Island Te Tau Ihu.
Find information on the history and culture of Nelson, Tasman and Marlborough. This resource includes links to further sources, books, websites and articles about the area. Recommended for school students, researchers and those interested in the history of the top of the South Island Te Tau Ihu.
Some things to do on The Prow:
- Read the traditional Māori stories explaining the origins of Te Tau Ihu o Te Waka-a-Māui.
- Learn about Appo Hocton, the first Chinese immigrant in New Zealand.
- Read about the hardship faced by early German settlers.
- Uncover the story of the notorious Burgess Gang and the Maungatapu murders.
- Download a map and listen to an audio walk tour of historic Melrose House.