Tasman District Libraries Privacy Statement
The Tasman District Council collects, stores, uses and assigns unique identifiers and discloses personal information in line with its obligations under the Privacy Act 2020.
We collect personal information from you, including information about your:
- Contact information
- Identifying information, including date of birth
- Interactions with us
- Billing, borrowing or purchase information
- Library membership information
We collect your personal information in order to:
- Assess and manage your membership of the Council's libraries,
- Contact you,
- Record and respond to requests for services,
- Ensure that the Tasman District Council can operate efficiently and effectively in line with its lawful functions and purpose,
- Recover outstanding charges, and
- Enable you to borrow material from Nelson City Council's libraries and Marlborough District Council's libraries (if that is permitted by those local authorities).
Personal information is also used by the Council for statistical purposes, to record the use made of library material.
Besides our staff, we share this information with:
- The Kōtui consortium which supplies and manages our Library Management System. Kōtui is managed and administered by the National Library which is part of DIA. All of the data in the Council’s library management system is held outside of our Council systems and is accessible by 3rd party vendors when needed to provide services to us. More information about Kōtui can be found on their website https://natlib.govt.nz/librarians/kotui
- Contractors and agents in order to effectively conduct Council’s lawful functions.
- Nelson City Council and Marlborough District Council to enable you to borrow material from their libraries. This includes information about your borrowing history and library charges. For members under the age of 18, the Council may also disclose the name and contact details of the guarantor.
The Council may disclose information about you to a debt collection agency for the purpose of recovering overdue library charges. For members under the age of 18, the Council may also disclose the name and contact details of the guarantor. If you are under the age of 18, the Council may disclose information about you to your guarantor for the purpose of managing your library membership and recovering overdue charges.
You have the right to ask for a copy of any personal information we hold about you, and to ask for it to be corrected if you think it is wrong. If you’d like to ask for a copy of your information, or to have it corrected, please contact us at email@example.com, or (03) 543 8500. You can also visit one of our libraries during opening hours.
By submitting your library application:
- You acknowledge that you have read and understand this privacy statement;
- You authorise the Council to collect, store (including storage with third parties), use and disclose information about you for the purposes set out in this privacy statement; and
- You acknowledge that you may be contacted by post, email or telephone (including automated telephone messages and text messages) and that the Council will not be responsible for any other person being able to access any mail, email, text or telephone messages sent to you.
Providing some information is optional. If you choose not to enter the requested information, we'll be unable to provide some Library services and your application may be denied.