Borrow an Item From Another Library
If we don't have the item you want, we may be able to borrow it from another library. We call this our interloan service.
- What types of items can I borrow?
- How long can I have the item?
- How much does it cost?
- How do I request an item?
- Interloans for children
What Types of Items Can I Borrow?
Many books held by libraries in New Zealand are available on interloan. You can find items in other New Zealand libraries using Te Puna Search.
Several types of items are not available as part of the interloan service:
- DVDs, CDs and talking books on CD;
- Motor repair manuals;
- Australian and New Zealand Standards;
- Textbooks required for a current university/polytechnic course;
- Reference only items, or books on closed reserve;
- Newly published books - please suggest a purchase instead.
How Long Can I Have the Item?
Usually three weeks - although this may vary. The loan period starts from the date the library sends us the item, so it is a good idea to pick it up as soon as possible so you have longer to read it.
- We may be able to renew your interloan. Please phone your local library if you would like a renewal.
- You cannot renew interloan items online via your library account.
How Much Does it Cost?
The standard charge for interloans is $5.00. Additional charges may apply if the item is only available from certain New Zealand and overseas libraries, or if you require the item urgently. The interloan fee must be paid when you collect the item.
There is no charge for interloans for child library members, unless a fee is charged by the lending library.
Please note: If you request an interloan but change your mind and do not collect it from the library, the fee is still payable.
How do I Request an Item?
If Tasman District Libraries don’t own the item you want, use the Interloan Request Form.
Staff will process your request within 24 hours (Monday to Friday) and will contact you if there are any issues. If items are available, they usually arrive within three weeks.
- Request an Interloan online
- If you need an Interloan before a specific date, please tell us on the request form.
- If you need the item within seven working days, or if you have any questions, please phone your local library.
Please note: Books published in the last six months are not available through this service. Please suggest a purchase instead.
Interloans for Children
Under 18 year olds are able to request interloan items for their own personal use or study. These items must be requested using a child's library membership.
In most cases it is free to interloan items for children. However when an item is only available from a charging (non-reciprocal) library there is an interloan fee to pay. Please contact your local library for more information.